Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Behold....a Balcony Garden!!!!

Another item on my Summer Challenge board is to do something about our balcony.

The balcony itself needs some work but that is on the agenda for the fall. In the meantime, I didn't want to spend our first summer in our new home with an ugly balcony. I wanted a balcony garden. I pinned this picture to represent the garden for me.

nice

Now, it needs to be said that I am not a gardener. There is really nothing about digging in the dirt that I find the least bit appealing. That said, I do like the look of a lush, green space.

I went to the garden centre just a few blocks from home. I like that it is a small, local centre and not a big box store. Once there, I explained to a very nice lady that a) I am not a very good gardener (i.e. I kill things) and b) my back deck faces west and only gets the late afternoon sun and c) I didn't want anything really flowery as I have a ton of allergies and d) in a perfect world I would like to grow my salad on my balcony.

She explained to me that my dream of tomatoes and lettuce fresh from my balcony is unlikely to happen as I do not get enough sun to support their growth and then she pointed me to the grasses and hostas. Oh well, good thing I like hostas and ornamental grasses!

Just under $60 later, I was at home getting my hands dirty and an hour later had this...





I already had two hostas that were blooming (bottom pic, aren't they purty?) and then I planted grass seed in any leftover containers (you can see it in the top pic in the terracotta planter and the big wide blue one sitting on the wash stand).

Yep, just everyday, ordinary, front yard grass seed. I figure I can have some lawn in a container since I don't actually own any lawn! Plus, it means I don't have to do any more planting this year. And it was free since it was the seed left over from our planting study at school.

Next year, I will add to the plants but this will do me for the summer. And, balcony gardening is off the list! Yeah!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment